Poway Looks Forward After Quarterfinal Win

Playoff action in San Diego continued to roll on Saturday evening, as The Santa Fe Christian Eagles traveled to Poway to take on the Titans for the 5:00 PM matchup.

After the opening faceoff, it seemed that both teams had to work the get the jitters out. The first shot on goal didn’t come until almost seven minutes into the game. At the 5:34 mark, Santa Fe’s R.J. Walker made the wait worth it as he cashed in off of a pass from Jeffrey Miles. The teams would combine for seven goals over the next five in a half minutes of play.

Poway countered with their first shot on goal of the evening just one minute later, coming out of the stick of Harrison Greaves and finding the back of the net off of a loose ball near the goal. Poway’s Nicholas Beeson found the net 90 seconds later to give Poway a 2-1 lead.   Jake Fiske made a great full-field play to make it 3-1 as he broke up a pass while man-down, took the ball the other way and played give-and-go with Cole Landolt, who got credit for the assist on the play. The Titans added their fourth straight goal off of the next faceoff, with Owen Springett setting up Kobe Brown for a quick goal.

Hank Ontiveros stopped the Titan run by scoring a great goal for the Eagles, stinging the near side corner off of an assist from Ben Stafslien. Stafslien scored one of his own less than a minute later thanks to a pass from Walker to keep it close at a score of 4-3 at the close of the opening quarter.

In the second quarter, The Titans put the pedal to the floor and went on a six goal run. Fiske made another great defensive effort by intercepting a pass in his own end and bringing it down so that Jack Woodard could score his first goal of the day to make it 5-3 Poway. Beeson scored again on an athletic unassisted run to the cage at the 9:40 mark. 6-3 Poway. One minute later, Johnny Clement set up Woodard to make it 7-3. Woodard completed the first half hat-trick, as he took a feed from Zach Hodge and went behind the back for a fantastic goal. 8-3 Poway. Next, Greaves scored again off of an assist from Brown. 9-3 Poway. Finally, Woodard scored again  with an assist from Landolt to make it 10-3 at the 2:00 mark.

Santa Fe Christian got back on the board during a man-up opportunity, as Garrett Lipscomb took a pass from Stafslien and buried it to make the score 10-4 at the end of the half.

The second half went slowly, as the teams traded possessions and fought for ground balls between the boxes. No goals were scored for the first 8:49 of the half, and only two goals were scored in the third quarter. Landolt assisted Woodard once again for Poway’s 11th goal of the day at the 3:11 mark, and Woodard scored again, this time from Brown, for the 12-4 lead.

In the fourth quarter, Ontiveros scored again for the Eagles, with the helper going to Walker, at the 9:50 mark. The Titans had the last word on their home turf, with Springett scoring the last goal of the evening off of a pass from Hodge.

Poway played a very complete game – dominating possession, choosing their shots wisely and limiting Santa Fe’s shots. Having a great game in the opening round should fare well for them, as they will face Coronado in the semifinal round on Wednesday.