Third-seeded Peninsula jumped out to a 10-0 halftime lead and cruised past No. 14-seed El Segundo 13-1 on Tuesday, handing the Eagles only their second loss in their last 12 games and ending a season that saw them claim the Ocean League title in their first year in the league.
The Panthers (16-2) had eight different players score, led by Koby Tseng and Brandon Wilson with three goals and one assist apiece. Grant Geiger had two goals, and Kurt Landon, Emilio Nunziati and Jason Hack each scored one. Goalie Lance Plonski and defender Russell Wukugawa also got in on the action with a goal each. Colton Michel recorded three assists and Caleb Smith one.
El Segundo (13-5) was playing short-handed after a flu bug knocked out three players, including leading scorer Cory Lund. Two other players suited up despite the flu. As a result, the Eagles dressed only 17 players.
Nolan Roles scored El Segundo’s lone goal. Goalie Jake Barone recorded 13 saves. The Eagles also reported: Freshman Devin Bonney won 10 faceoffs, picked up six groundballs and had one forced turnover; junior Kai Bucher had three GBs and a forced turnover; and senior defenders Austin Thompson and Nick Palley anchored the defense, as they have all season.
Peninsula now will host No. 6-seed Thousand Oaks in a Thursday quarterfinal game.
El Segundo 17, Brentwood 12
West Ranch 13, Sierra Canyon 12
Palisades 12, Culver City 11, 2 OT
(1) Palos Verdes 18, (16) West Ranch 3
(9) Newbury Park 9, (8) Oak Park 5
(12) Redondo Union (6-10) at (5) Westlake (14-1), Wednesday, 7 p.m.
(4) Harvard Westlake 12, (13) Chaminade 4
(3) Peninsula 13, (14) El Segundo 1
(6) Thousand Oaks 10, (11) Mira Costa 9
(7) Crespi 9, 10 Agoura (5)
(2) Loyola 19, (15) Palisades 4
Quarterfinals – Thursday
(9) Newbury Park (14-4) at (1) Palos Verdes (14-5), 4:30 p.m.
(12) Redondo Union/(5) Westlake winner at (4) Harvard Westlake (11-7), 5:30 p.m.
(6) Thousand Oaks (13-4) at (3) Peninsula (16-2), 4 p.m.
(7) Crespi (11-6) at (2) Loyola (15-3), 3 p.m.