While the top of the US Lacrosse/MaxLaxLA coaches poll remained the same this week, a wild week in the Marmonte League shook up the Top 10, with five teams taking turns beating each other — except Thousand Oaks, which is undefeated in league — and swapping spots in the rankings.
Here is a brief synopsis of the Marmonte League entering this week, with teams listed in order of their ranking, not league standings:
- The Lancers (7-3, 4-0) moved up one spot to No. 5 after having beaten everyone but Newbury Park in Marmonte play. The No. 7 Panthers (8-2, 3-1) visit Thousand Oaks on Wednesday.
- Oaks Christian (8-2, 2-2) moved up two spots to No. 6 after beating Newbury Park on Friday. The Lions have lost to Thousand Oaks and Agoura.
- Newbury Park (8-2, 3-1) remained No. 7 after splitting games with Westlake, an 11-7 win, and Oaks Christian, an 11-4 loss. The Panthers also have beaten Agoura.
- Agoura (7-4, 2-3) dropped three spots to No. 8 after losing to Thousand Oaks and Westlake last week, and the Chargers have some work to do in the second half of the league race.
- Westlake (4-4, 2-2), which opened the season at No. 4 in the poll before dropping, remained at No. 10 this week after splitting games with Newbury Park, an 11-7 loss, and Agoura, an 8-4 win.
And the fun is only half over, as the five-game second half of the league season gets under way this week.
Elsewhere in the coaches poll, first four remained the same: Harvard Westlake No. 1 with 15 of 19 first-place votes; Loyola No. 2 with three first-place votes; Palos Verdes No. 3 with one first-place vote; and Oak Park No. 4.
El Segundo (9-2) moved up two spots to No. 14, San Marcos of Santa Barbara (7-1) moved up one to No. 18, and St. Francis (5-7) re-entered the rankings at No. 20, knocking Culver City (4-6) out.
[table id=91 /]
Also receiving Top 20 votes: Culver City (4-6), Santa Barbara (5-4), Thacher (1-6), Village Christian (4-3), Redondo Union (6-5); Birmingham (7-6); Valencia (5-4); Calabasas (5-8); St. John Bosco (4-6).