Is my team going to win the CIF championship this year?
Orange County high schools are in the CIF Southern Section (CIF SS). CIF SS does not not sanction lacrosse playoffs. So the winner of the post season playoffs will be a champion, just not a “CIF Champion”
Why Doesn’t CIF SS Sanction Playoffs?
Not enough schools in CIF SS offer lacrosse as a varsity sport. CIF does not sanction playoffs for a sport unless at least 20% of the member schools within a CIF Section offer the sport. With 575 member schools and a geographical area that covers Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Mono and Inyo counties, the CIFSS is the largest of the ten CIF sections. There are now 76 boys’ and 68 girls’ CIF lacrosse programs with the CIFSS, leaving the boys (by unofficial count) 35 – 40 teams shy of CIF playoffs, and the girls a bit more than that.
By comparison, CIF San Diego Section has about 100 member schools and about 50 member lacrosse programs. So San Diego does crown a CIF champion.
Who Organizes the Lacrosse Playoffs for Orange County?
The Orange County and Los Angeles County chapters of US Lacrosse. These are the two chapters within the area covered by the CIF SS. US Lacrosse – Orange County Chapter coordinates the “South Division”, which includes the OC and Temecula (Riverside County is in CIF SS) teams. US Lacrosse – LA Chapter coordinates the “North Division”, which includes the teams north of the OC.
How Many Teams Make The Playoffs?
16 teams from the OC Chapter compete for a South Division championship. 16 teams from from the LA chapter compete for a North Division championship. The North and South Division champions play one another for the US Lacrosse Southern Section Championship.
How are the South Division Playoff Teams Determined?
The six league champions (Empire-Century, Pacific Coast, Sea View, South Coast, Sunset, and Trinity) earn automatic qualifiers. The remaining 10 teams are picked at large. This season, for the first time, an independent selection committee will pick the at-large teams and seed all 16 playoff teams. The selection committee will be aided by a coaches poll (see below for more info), and a mathematical formula that will be announced at the beginning of the season. The committee members were selected by US Lacrosse with input from coaches and athletic directors, subject to the following requirements
- Must be independent of any Orange County high school program. Parents of current rostered players and former OC high school players are not eligible
- Must be willing to meet to discuss selection and seeding
- Must demonstrate an understanding of boys lacrosse (player, coach and/or ref immediately satisfies this requirement)
- Must be willing to closely follow OC Boys lacrosse to form opinions on teams
What is the Playoff Schedule?
Saturday May 3rd, 2014:
- Boys Playoff Teams and Seedings Announced
- Girls Playoff Teams and Seedings Announced
Tuesday May 6th, 2014
- Boys 1st Round – Played at the Higher Seed Home Field
- Girls 1st Round – Played at the Higher Seed Home Field
Thursday May 8rd, 2014
- Boys 2nd Round – Played at the Higher Seed Home Field
- Girls 2nd Round – Played at the Higher Seed Home Field
Saturday – May 10th, 2014
- Girls Semi-Final Game 1 1:00 PM @ Laguna Hills High School
- Girls Semi-Final Game 2 3:00 PM @ Laguna Hills High School
- Boys Semi-Final Game 1 5:00 PM @ Laguna Hills High School
- Boys Semi-Final Game 2 7:15 PM @ Laguna Hills High School
Wednesday May 14th, 2014
- Girls South Division Finals 5:30 PM at Aliso Niguel High School
- Boys South Division Finals 7:30 PM at Aliso Niguel High School
Saturday May 17th, 2014
- Girls Southern Section Finals 11:00 AM at Huntington Beach High School
- Boys Southern Section Finals 1:00 PM at Huntington Beach High School
Who is Going to Win the Boys’ Championship?
Santa Margarita will overcome the graduation loss of Garrett Parsons and win it all. Sincerely, Norb Garrett (NOTE: Not a real answer. You’ll have to take part in our online poll to let us know who you think will win it all. Stay tuned).