UC Santa Barbara went 10-6 overall last spring, losing in the semifinals of the Southwest Lacrosse Conference tournament and again in the first round of the MCLA championship tournament. But a strong nucleus returns from that squad, including an offensive group of six sophomores who ranked in the top seven on the team in points last season as freshmen.
Defensively, sophomore goalie Peter Brydon, an All-American honorable mention last spring, will be supported by captains Collin Dal Porto and James Harrison.
Head coach Mike Allan, entering his sixth season at the helm, shared these Five Things to Know about the Gauchos:
Key graduated players
Three four-year starters and two-time captains graduated last spring:
- David Abady, defense, Huntington Beach
- Matt Hirning, defense/LSM, Judge Memorial (Utah)
- Blake Samuel, attack, Bellevue (Washington)
Key returning players
- Alex Dixon, sophomore, attack, Crespi: Second-team All-SLC
- Wes Kim, sophomore, attack, Irvine: 31 points as freshman
- Peter Brydon, sophomore, goalie, Carlmont: Honorable Mention All-MCLA
- Kyle Bundegaard, Junior, LSM, Patrick Henry
- Reed Zabel, sophomore, midfield, Lincoln (Oregon)
- Kai Welsh, sophomore, midfield, Pacific Ridge
Captains for 2017
- Collin Dal Porto, senior, defense, Foothill (Pleasanton)
- Andrew Ferguson, senior, midfield, Westview
- James Harrison, junior, defense, Palo Alto
- Mike Kerr, senior, midfield, Clayton Valley
Team goals for 2017
Commit to the season-long process of daily improvement. We fell short of our potential as a team in 2016 because we stopped seeing daily progress. This season, we will keep the focus where it needs to be — getting better one rep and one day at a time.
Key fall dates
- Nov 12: Annual Face-off vs. Leukemia benefit for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Participating teams: Cal Poly, Chapman, Concordia, SB City College, UC Santa Barbara and USC.