The Simi Valley Pioneers have gone 21-13 the last two seasons and are looking ahead to their fifth season of competition with what coach Bijan Nickroo II says is the team’s biggest roster to date.
Last year’s squad went 8-9, losing four games by a combined six goals, and the varsity squad returns a number of starters and continues to see progress.
Coach Nickroo provided five things to know about the Pioneers:
- Returning starters: We are excited to have seven returning starters this season.
- Program is growing: Last year was our biggest year thus far. Going into our fifth year, we anticipate 45-55 at our tryouts this November. We’ll have 45-50 between JV and varsity this spring, which is another big step for us.
- Fall-ball numbers: We have about 28 players on our fall-ball team this year, mostly freshmen, with a few upperclassmen.
- Off the field: Last year we started our “Pioneers in the Community” program, volunteering at events at local elementary schools and a couple other non-profit organization events. This year we continue with that, beginning at the Relay For Life event in Simi Valley Oct. 1-2.
- Team goals for 2017: Our goal is to continue getting better fundamentally and to just win more games than we lose! Most importantly, have fun.