Entering their third season of play with a roster of experienced players, the Hamilton Lady Yanks are looking to improve upon last season.
In 2016, Hamilton finished 6-10 in non-tournament games, including three losses to City Section opponent Palisades. But each loss to the Dolphins was a little closer. The Yankees lost 10-2 in March, then 14-6 a month later. In the City Section semifinals, Hamilton lost by only one, 11-10.
With that foundation in place, coach Cheyenne Cockrell provided Five Things to Know about Hamilton Lady Yanks Lacrosse:
• More than a few of our girls will be starters for the third year in a row: Juniors Zeyna Faucette, Rebecca Ruvalcaba, and Destiny Keller, and seniors Lourdes Hernandez, Sy Dragon and Izzy Winston. They will definitely be among some of our top players to watch.
• We doubled our numbers for summer this year and currently have more girls playing fall ball than ever before. The program is steadily growing, and the girls are getting better each and every day.
• Our captains for the 2017 season will be Lourdes Hernandez and Zeyna Faucette. They are both incredibly intelligent, motivated and talented young women, so we are looking so forward to having them lead the team.
• Our goal as a team is to simply keep improving. We’re a young team, only in our third season, and we hope to continue our upward momentum and make it even further this year!
• We are in the early stages of planning a tournament for this season, and we are of course excited to play Pali after losing by only one point during City Playoffs last season!