A week after U.S. Lacrosse hosted a summit to discuss growth of the girls game in L.A., the Santa Monica Dragons did their part with “Bring A Friend Day” to encourage girls new to the sport to learn together.
In the video above, Dragons girls coach Meghan Toomey, recently named head coach at Marlboro HS, explains the goals of the event, which attracted 30 girls in elementary through high school to Grant Elementary School in Santa Monica to learn a little bit about lacrosse.
From the club: “As the title states, the objective was for girls with some lacrosse experience to expose their friends to the sport. Head coach Meghan Toomey put together a three-hour program that included demonstrations, games and skill stations that kept the girls engaged the entire time.”
Joining Toomey and helping run the drills and demos were five experienced collegiate players:
- Kaitlin Stewart, Jacksonville University, Midfield Specialist
- Halie Lear, Salisbury University, Midfield Specialist
- Meghan McCarthy, Harvard University, Defensive Specialist
- Casey Brogan, Oregon University, Midfield Specialist
- Hayley Milner, Oregon University, Midfield Specialist