Holding down the back end of our senior 2019 Players to Watch are a handful of players who have been fixtures at the defensive end for perennial Top 10 programs.
In fact, it would have been easy to feature as seniors the same three we featured as juniors — Will Kupiec of Loyola, Donovan Econn of Harvard Westlake and Neill Randall of Palos Verdes. All still are deserving of recognition and worth watching, of course, but we decided to highlight some new faces.
Here is a look at some of the top senior defenders in the LA area, compiled from 2018 all-area and all-league lists, nominations from coaches and the past few seasons of paying close attention to area lacrosse:
Sebastian Bernt, Agoura
A first-team All-Marmonte League selection and honorable mention All-Area pick, Bernt is entering his third season as a starter on the Chargers’ back line. In fact, he was named second-team All-Marmonte League as a sophomore. Last year, Bernt collected 63 ground balls, forced 40 turnovers, scored 6 goals and handed out 5 assists.
Colin Hawkins, Loyola
After playing behind a strong group of long-pole defenders his first two seasons at Loyola, Hawkins broke out as a first-year starter last season, earning second-team All-Mission League honors as the Cubs won their third consecutive Southern Section title. He recently committed to Trinity College.
Jack Lenthall, Oaks Christian
A force at defensive midfield for the past few seasons, it’s hard to ignore Lenthall when he’s on the field. It was hard for us to ignore him, as well, so we added the first-team All-Marmonte pick to our list of senior defenders to watch. It’s the first time we’ve featured a short-stick defensive midfielder on this list.
Also Worth Watching
Players listed alphabetically.
- Jared Chorpash, Saugus: Team Captain. “His speed and Athleticism are second to none.” – Coach Dave Steinman.
- Donovan Econn, Harvard Westlake: Second-team All-Area; first-team All-Mission.
- Darryl Evans, West Ranch
- Parker Frautschi, Oaks Christian: Second-team All-Marmonte SSDM.
- Will Kupiec, Loyola: Second-team All-Area; first-team All-Mission. Committed to MIT.
- Kyle Lee, Palisades: Committed to Brown. Missed 2018 to injury.
- Will Lyman, Westlake: Four-year varsity starter.
- Alistair Ong, Oak Park: 2019 Team Captain. Also will play some LSM. “Al is a demon on GBs, garnering 106 last year; he has buttery stick skills combined with excellent speed and a 200-pound frame.” – Coach Tarik Ergin.
- Jackson Spar, Agoura: Second-team All-Marmonte.